Saturday, July 14, 2012

Who Run The World?

Girls, yes. HBO's Girls? Well, I'm not sure.

I recently binge-watched all the eps in Season 1--and while I liked it, I don't think I could handle more than 1 season because I'm afraid that my face could retain the cringing scowl that I assume whenever the really bad sex occurs...which is at least 2.5 times per ep. Those scenes leave me feeling emotionally barren.

Now that everyone knows how I feel about the sex in 'Girls', here is what I think of everything else:

I wouldn't go as far as some and say that 'Girls' is the voice of our generation--but it definitely spoke to me. I mean, it's just relatable to see someone else struggle with a nurse who has the audacity to weigh you and NOT account for the that you have your clothes on (ATTN nurses: you don't even know my life so stop judging). No but really--some of the things that happen in that show made me say outloud, "GOD I'm so happy they're showing this." One example of this occurred in the episode where they go to the Bushwick party and Hannah is talking about why she isn't a big drinker and says, "Last time I got drunk and ate all this brie [cheese] and threw up on my cellphone." Now, that hasn't necessarily happened to me, but I could totally see that being my story one day.

And yet...I'm not quite ready to say I'm a real fan. I'm so confused.

I'm just not exactly sure how much I can relate to Hannah and the gang. I'm a girl in my 20s, it's true. Definitely not a child, yet not exactly sprinting to be a full-fledged adult. In fact I was VERY RESISTANT to going on my own phone plan (but really--just who did my mom think she was signing us up for T-Mobile? The coolest phone I could have was a Sidekick so...it was time). Clearly, I have dumb "first world problems" not unlike those of the 'Girls' protgaonists. I get mad when I'm carded at client dinners. I worry about my cat when I stay late at work. I become irritated when I only have t-shirts for the gym because I prefer tanks--etc., etc., etc.

I don't want to be compared to them. Relative privilege aside--I just hope I don't come off as whiny as they do sometimes. Marnie especially is just so, so whiny. This HuffPo article details some other complaints, and they seem valid. One complaint that I find to be a little dramatic is the racism criticism. Why does the absence of people of color on this TV show have to be anything other than a complete accident? I don't think absence of racial diversity is necessarily a symptom of racism, but whatever, just sayin'.

If I'm being honest--I guess my main gripe with 'Girls' is that I'm just such a 'Sex in the City' fanatic that I find it hard to fall in love with 4 women who aren't Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, or Miranda.

Although, I would totally substititute Jessa for Miranda.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.