Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Sopranos Season Finale

You have just entered the Spoiler Zone.

Less than a week ago I finished binge-watching all 86 hours of The Sopranos. Today I'm here to talk about how I'm not sorry about being angry re: the ending.

If it is true Tony was shot to death at the end (and I'm fairly convinced he was thanks to this guy's analysis) then I am DISPLEASED. I really tried to understand the style behind how David Chase conceptualized and subsequently executed the ending. I totally realize the scene in Bobby Bacala's boat from "Soprano Home Movies" (and then flashback to the same scene during the final episode) drove home the suggestion that when you die you probably don't see it coming. I initially "oohed" and "ahhed" at the idea of something so deep and profound coming back to us during the final moments of the series. But then I came to terms with something:




As a proud NJ native with cultural and linguistic ties to North Jersey especially, I became engrossed in The Sopranos. I loved everything about it. At the outset of the final episode I was internally balancing both my sadness of the story being over and my excitement for how it would end. Further, as a novice television series aficionado I grew while watching The Sopranos. I am visually violence-averse, but I withstood -- no, soldiered through the Sopranos. By Season 6's end I was bloodthirsty, and my craving was met with just black

I feel that I more than earned the right to watch Tony Soprano's demise in all it's bloody, dramatic and Carmela-witnessing glory. Yet in a 2007 interview with the Star Ledger, David Chase attacked me (yes, ME) with this dagger quote:

"Anybody who wants to watch it, it's all there."

OKAY DAVID. Totally not all there, but I see I won't be getting my way.

Don't mind me. I'll just be here stewing about this until Mad Men comes back (April 7th!).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.