Saturday, April 21, 2012

Animal Crackers

Everybody has that one food that they can't even fathom consuming. This is usually a result of either getting sick or over-consumption. I have approximately four of these foods: anything from KFC, lo mein, rice-a-roni (San Francisco treat? I. Beg. To. Differ.), and animal crackers--but animal crackers seem so innocent, don't they? Think again.

Flash to May 2010--my final week as a junior at Syracuse. I was all set to move to DC at the end of the month to start an internship in DC and subsequently stay there for the semester for another internship. The world seemed to be right at my feet, until that fateful Sunday afternoon when I paid what I thought would be a leisurely visit to BankofAmerica.com..

I was officially flat broke.

I couldn't believe it, I was shocked. Actually, that's not true. I could totally believe it. I pretty much blew my entire savings in Chile buying scarves and pisco sours a year before--and it was only a matter of time before my checking account suffered a similar fate. I started to panic--how was I going to survive? I was all alone in the apartment by that point, and I was way too proud to ask my friends for food scraps. I had enough money to fill my gas tank to get home from school and mooch off of my mom until I got to DC and got my first paycheck, but that was about it. I starting brainstorming--and by the way, is there ANYTHING less effective than "brainstorming?"

Anyway, I remembered my upcoming birthday, but I suddenly realized that I had already cashed in on my birthday when I blew out not one but TWO tires earlier in the semester. I couldn't ask my parents, they had bailed me out way too many times. It was time to be a responsible adult.

...but I was so, so hungry.

After some serious budgeting I surmised that I had about $10 to buy food for a week. 

I drove to Sam's Club to browse my options. The very first thing I did was 'troll the whole store to see if anyone was giving out free samples. No dice. I finally settled on an industrial sized barrel of animal crackers, and proceeded to the check out with my prize. The cashier broke some seriously bad news to me--I couldn't buy the crackers. Apparently, you have to be a member of Sam's Exclusive Club of Soccer Moms to purchase bulk items. 

It was the most pathetic moment of my life--until the NEXT moment when a grandmother behind me in line bought it for me. That moment then became the most pathetic of my life. Thankfully, it's still holding strong. I've only gone up from there.

It only cost me $7.50, so I was able to buy milk so that I could have animal cracker cereal for breakfast. It had 73 servings and I devoured the entire thing. One week. No energy. No dignity.

I still can't even look at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.