Friday, April 20, 2012

ESFP

ESFP

God, I feel exposed.

Two colleagues and myself were subjected to a 3 hour meeting discussing the results of our Myers-Briggs Type Indicator tests. After a series of 100 questions that essentially asked me "Do you like schedules?" and "Do you talk to people at parties?" in 100 different ways...the MBTI determined that I exhibit the following four qualities in life--and specifically the workplace:

E- Extrovert
S - Sensing
F - Feeling
P - Perceiving

Good news first: It was no surprise to find out that my celebrity personality-dopplegangers include Britney Spears (obvi pre-shaved head, child-bearing, washed up 'Circus' Britney), Cameron Diaz, Rachel Blison, Pamela Anderson and most importantly KIM KARDASHIAN. But really. One of the main things that my identity packet kept telling me was that I "live in the moment" and "look for immediate satisfaction." It is from this that I must conclude that the MBTI test is full of lies--that assumption of me could not be more untrue. I suffer from something I have coined "stress-phoria." I become stressed over things that are supposed to make me happy. My condition definitely stops me from living in the moment as often as I like. I'm not sure if stress-phoria is included in the latest edition of the DSM-IV, but it is as real as you and I.

We were shown the picture below and asked to talk about it:


I wanted to see paradise--I really did, but all I could think about were the scary ocean animals just waiting to drag me to my watery grave--sharks, manowars, and the like. I can't do anything without somehow getting at least a little stressed about it..

"Wow, this Adele song is great. Oh my God--am I relating to it too much?? Am I going through a break-up without even knowing it??"

 
"I just bought new sneakers!....but what if I can't  find time to fit in a long run TODAY...?"

See what I mean? It's hard to allow myself to just let go. Upon being asked what I would do with $5000 CASH and a free 7 night trip to anywhere, I immediately got my happy chest pains about how in the world I would find the time to plan my fake vacation and whether or not my travel companion would be into my ideas. It was pretty sad.

There were some truths to be found in my MTBI test results. As a 'P' I apparently, "tend to be flexible and adaptable and to keep your options open as long as possible." Okay, I can dig that--especially because the other option 'J' is for "Judging." I'm not into judgers, although I do invest heavily into researching the possibility of using energy from judgemental haters as a viable alternative fuel source for the future. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

As a "practical" person within the "Sensing" subset of characteristics (have I lost you yet?)
I am, "impatient listening to ideas if a practical use is not the end result." True. Ideas and theories mean very little to me. Actions and experiences, on the other hand, tug at my heart strings a little more. I need facts to stay comfortably grounded, and I like to stay in touch with the commonsense aspects of any situation. I find this to be especially applicable in conversations concerning foreign aid, green technology, and other whimsicalities.


Conclusion: I am an immensely complicated person and I find it insulting that I was subjected to a three hour discussion about my personality. That being said, the comparison with Rachel Bilson and the free bagel were nice touches.

Looking forward to Parts II and III...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.