Thursday, April 5, 2012

For Crusty

Chances are I don't like you as much as I like my animals. Anyone who knows me knows that there is no one and nothing in the world that can come between my pets and I. 

I've heard that you meet your once in a lifetime friend just once in a lifetime (makes sense), and in my 22 years on this planet, I have already loved and lost my forever friend. My cat Crusty.


Please forgive Sheila and her braces for photo bombing this picture. She didn't mean to be so visually offensive.

Crusty was legit my heart and soul. I would have done anything for that cat--and I still would if properly inspired to do so. Crusty knew everything about my frenemies, boy drama, fights with my parents...and he was on my side without condition. He let me braid his fur, he didn't mind when we tried to flush him down the toilet, and he was even okay when pulled his whiskers out. We found him at a farmer's market with his eyes crusted shut (hence the name "Crusty"), so we don't know much about his lineage. It seems pretty clear that he was part creature of Eden and part Kitler

Crusty passed away late April 2007, and I haven't gotten over it yet. Other cats have come and gone, but none have been the same. To honor all of my kitties past and present, here is a timeline of the notable felines of my life (in no particular order):

La Dixie, my host cat in Chile


I have this picture of Dixie hanging in my office. She is very, very special to me, and without joking this cat helped me through one of the hardest times of my life. She was there when I needed her most, and she was also there when I didn't need her...such as all the times when she'd haul ass into my room and run up my curtain and hide on the curtain rod. That's what friendship is all about, imo. She'd sleep with me every night and I'd give her sweet, sweet besos in the mornings--cat breath and all.

Little Kitty

To be clear, Little Kitty will never reach the level of Crusty in my heart, but there really is just something so beautiful about motherhood. Here is Little Kitty with her own little kitties--including Calendar Kitty, Peabody, Fonzi, Judas Priest, et. al. As if my house wasn't hairy enough...


Rumor is that at the last papal conclave, Catholic cardinals were discussing Little Kitty's bid for sainthood. Please write to your local Catholic diocese to lobby her cause/show support. 


Helen

I actually hate Helen. This picture is of her drinking out of the bath tub because she is disgusting. I found her on my way to Wildwood after prom, and she was disgusting and diseased. Naturally I picked her up, dropped her off at my house to be my Mom's problem, and proceeded to the beach instead of caring for my new charge.

Helen has always had it in for my sisters and myself. One time we had a party at my house while my mom was in Germany and we had an unexpected visitor come to "check up" on us...and we desperately tried to rush and hide the beer meanwhile all of Valerie's friends were Anne Franking. [To Anne Frank (verb): To run upstairs and hide from an incoming malefactor.]
We had everything covered until Helen and her busted eye ran directly into our posterboard fortress built over the beer. Our hidden cache beneath was fully exposed and it was obvious she felt less than remorseful. I won't forgive her for that.

and last, but not least:

Tinsel

This little miracle came into our home this past Gilchristmas Eve. She's grown up a bit now, and she looks ancient. As in...I think she descends from the cat of a Pharaoh. Tinsel is the stuff of legends. She's young and must prove herself to me, but I have high hopes for her.

Before I finish, please behold Little Kitty and Fester having a moment. When I think of love I generally think of this picture:


Eddie says bye :)


1 comment:

Play nice.