Sunday, April 22, 2012

Vision Quest

I recently found myself in a debate that ended with my opponent telling me that I'm selfish and close-minded. Ouch. Am I really that bad? I decided that need to go on a vision quest to find out the truth. Unfortunately I hit a few barriers, which include (but are not limited to) having a full-time job and a complete lack of Cherokee ancestry.The only option was to take an online quiz. Turns out my spirit animal is an owl.

 

It makes sense. I've always suspected that I'm something of a soothsayer. Anyway...

I would realistically rate myself a solid 8.3 on a 1-10 scale measuring patience, understanding and general tolerance--but there are a few things that I simply can't stand for: 1. Torturing animals;  2. Sitting through an entire live baseball game without a big pretzel;  3. Waiting in line at the post office and, most importantly:

4. People who are so "open-minded" that they fail to see their own hypocrisy.

In many of my classes from K-12, we were expected to complete a "Do-Now." The Do-Now was a problem on the chalk board that either reviewed the lesson from the day before or set the stage for the upcoming lesson. Do-Nows were a huge nuissance and really inhibited everyone's ability to talk very loudly with friends about other friends for the first 10 minutes of class. Total inconvenience at the time. Looking back now, however, I can see the value in the exercise. In fact, I'm going to post a logic-themed Do-Now right here on this blog:

"y=mx+b"

"Access to healthcare is a human right."

Are these sentences both facts, both opinions, or one fact and one opinion? Please explain. 

I understand that access to healthcare is an extremely complex debate, but it really is the icing flower corner piece on the birthday cake of life when somebody tells me (and quite nearly physically attacks me) over my ideas. Yes, that has happened. Can you imagine? Someone berating me/lecturing me like a common criminal? Yikes.

I thought this was pretty timely given that the Supreme Court just heard the oral arguments about the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). PS I saw everyone's favorite "Wise Latina" Sonia Sotomayor on the Acela train bound for NYC. I wasn't stalking her, but she got off at Philly incase anyone wanted to know. I digress..

Like I said, healthcare seemed timely, but the point of this post and my feeling in general is that discussing topics such as this could be both fruitful and enlightening if people would acknowledge that there are always at least two ways of looking at things. There are always circumstances. All I'm asking of anyone is to just listen to other people when they speak and consider their side. No one has to agree, but let's reserve emotionally charged/clouded discussion for when it is officially confirmed that Kate Middleton is indeed hosting a royal child via pregnancy. Additionally, it is helpful to know the facts. (Ex. Fannie Mae ≠ Sallie Mae). Even if you're close-minded about something, that's okay too, but just say so! I happen to enjoy it when people are staunch in stance--so long as they know weltanschauungs vary. 

I've felt this way for a while. Please review my Facebook status update from January 4, 2012 of this year (Ah, the joys of timeline..)

"I would just like to point out that everyone alleging the GOP as a whole to be stupid and/or ignorant is not nearly as open-minded as they claim to be. Growing up in the Northeast and subsequently attending an insulated, liberal university does not necessarily make you smart/unequivocally correct, sorry :( "

Conclusion: Everyone needs to chill out and focus more attention on this baby elephant playing at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.