Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Peace, Love, Color-Blocking


Spring time is officially here! And as you can see, I'm loving up on the color-blocking trend sweeping our nation from sea to shining sea. I'm so pleased with it that I'm not even bitter that I definitely started this trend during my infancy, and thus am more fashion-forward than most of you despite the fact that I lack documented proof.

I have never purported to be a fashionista, but I still have my thoughts. Before giving those opinions, I know I owe it to people to willingly and fully disclose the fact that my most prized article of clothing, pictured below, has solicited reactions ranging from projectile vomiting to temporary loss of basic motor skills:


Apologies to the lovely ladies posing with me. My purchase of this rainbow alpaca sweater was more of an effort to stimulate the informal Peruvian economy than anything else. I have no good explanation for the headband. Admittedly, I would have been better dressed as the photo-bombing pizza.

As it is the first day of Spring, it is the perfect opportunity to express what I do and do not want to see whilst 'trolin the Cherry Blossoms. Below you will find a list of my fashion Dos and Donts for the upcoming season:

DO Retire your Romper
Everyone needs to stop trying to make rompers happen. Even if you are in the 1% (you know, the people who can actually pull off rompers without becoming instantly be-camel toed), it's time to just fold it up and put it in its final resting place. Rompers need to follow behind Delia's bell-bottomed jeans and tiered-minis into the fashion attic of no return.

STOP with the Orange and Pink Combo
Just quit it with Orange and Pink. It's not working. I love sherbert as much as the next girl looking for ice cream alternatives other than froyo, but celebrating the union of these two colors via clothing is just too much. I'm a total Loft girl, but I can hardly enjoy myself knowing that this dress is coexisting in the store with me:



I really did try to love it, but at the end of the day it remained clear that orange and pink belong together in one instance, and one instance only:


These two goldfish fell into my lap during lunch yesterday and I was delighted, not repulsed, by the image.


I don't have much else to offer--but if you only take one thing away from this post, let it be this:

This spring, if in doubt while getting dressed in the morning, simply ask yourself one question:

WWSDW?
What Would Sally Draper Wear?

Therefore, DO emulate Sally Draper at every possible opportunity
Please allot yourself 10 minutes to admire/carefully study Sally Draper's outfit choice for her latest interview:


It goes without saying that I would do unspeakable things to spend an evening with Don Draper, but Sally Draper is really a close second in terms of my love recipients. She is twelve years old, and yet she is still everything that we all should strive to be. Her color and accessory choices are wise beyond her years. I absolutely cannot wait for the Season 5 premiere of Mad Men this Sunday, for clothes-watching and everything else.

Happy Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.