Thursday, March 15, 2012

They See Me Rollin', They Hatin'..

I am particularly displeased with the state of law enforcement today. Allow me to present a scenario.

Stage Left: Innocent, law-abiding citizen with only one speeding ticket on record (35mph over the speed limit isn't THAT bad...right?) trying to cross a moderately busy road to catch a cab going in the opposite direction. No cars approaching, red lights as far as the eye can see. Just myself, the open road, and possibly Jack Kerouac ahead.

Stage Right: Dad-cop (who I will refer to as "Pete" because it reflects his simplicity yet unyielding commitment to rules...would you try to fight a Pete?) literally performing circus-like tricks for a group of Asian tourists holding what appeared to be novelty-sized cameras and sporting "I <3 DC" t-shirts.

I evaluate the situation, determine that the road is safe for me to cross, and subsequently commence a half jog-trot to get to the other side. No REAL urgency--after all, no one is coming (this is key).

Denouement: "Pete" exclaims, "Hey Miss! HEY. HEY. HEY." and I, of course, continue my journey to the other side, his side, to catch my cab (spoiler alert: I miss the cab). Our conversation continues as such:

"Pete" - "What do you think you're doing?"
Allison - "NM, U?"
"Pete" -  "You didn't use the crosswalk"
Allison - "o."
"Pete" - "I'm going to have to write you a ticket, A/S/L?"
Allison - %#%^&$@*^$.
"Pete" - "Cya."

...and after that encounter he took a picture with the tourists. I think they thought he was the Terminator. 

I've seen this cop before. He is a step up from a rent-a-cop. All he does is 'trol the stretch of sidewalk between McDonald's and Chipotle. At any given time on that stretch, there is a pseudo-homeless man (sorry but he's just way too healthy to be in straits as dire as he proclaims) soliciting money and hoodlums stealing from CVS. Me j(ay)-walking was really the focus of his efforts to enforce law and order today? He must have been having a bad day, but I am going to make it my mission to push his buttons every time I see him. You don't even want to know how much I'm going to litter on his sidewalk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Play nice.